Scott is a founding shareholder of Mincey-Carter. Scott’s broad experience in estate planning and wealth protection, closely-held business matters, and tax allow him a unique ability to offer comprehensive counsel to the firm’s clients. When advising clients on estate, trust, wealth, and asset protection, Scott helps clients build a custom plan that deals with all income, estate, gift, and generation-skipping tax issues and balances the client’s needs. In advising clients on business-related matters, Scott guides clients through all aspects of entity planning, including employee equity and related planning, employment agreements, merger and acquisition transactions, buy-sell agreements and related business succession planning.
Scott is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and was the Chair of the Estate Planning and Probate Law Exam Commission with the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is a member of the Dallas Bar Association, the American Bar Association, State Bar of Texas Sections on Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law, Taxation and Business Law and American Bar Association Sections on Real Property, Trust and Estate Law and Taxation, the Dallas Estate Planning Council and North Texas Estate Planning Council. Scott is licensed to practice in Texas.
Scott has been selected as one of The Best Lawyers in America as a Top-Rated Lawyer by Trust and Estates Magazine. He has also earned Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating (AV).
- Southern Methodist University, LL.M. in Taxation, 1998
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 1997
- Oregon State University, B.A. in Economics and Political Science, 1993
Partial Listing of Past Presentations
- Training Others to Draft for You. ESTATE PLANNING AND PROBATE DRAFTING. STATE BAR OF TEXAS, Dallas, Texas (October 2020)
- Planning around the issues that Congress can’t legislate away: Families, Creditors and Business Partners. Generational Business Succession and Operational Planning. ADVANCED ESTATE PLANNING STRATEGIES COURSE 2018. STATE BAR OF TEXAS, Santa Fe, New Mexico (April 2018)
- When a Plan Comes Together. Navigating Second and Third Generation Estate Tax, Fiduciary and Business Planning Issues. MIDLAND COLLEGE ESTATE PLANNING SEMINAR (May 2016)
- It Depends . . . Determining the best choice of entity for business and estate planning clients. EAST TEXAS ESTATE PLANNING COUNCIL (January 2016)
- Dealing with LPs and LLCs in Your Practice, ADVANCED ESTATE PLANNING AND PROBATE COURSE, STATE BAR OF TEXAS, San Antonio, Texas (June 2014)
- Stop the Bus, I want to Get Off — Business Succession Planning in 2014, ADVANCED ESTATE PLANNING STRATEGIES, STATE BAR OF TEXAS, Denver, Colorado (April 2014)
- Positioning a Closely-Held Business for Sale with Estate and Business Planning, WWW.MYLAWCLE.COM, National Online Conference (October 2013)
- Pre-Sale Estate Planning for the Seller and Corrective Actions for the Business, NATIONAL BUSINESS INSTITUTE, Helping Your Client Buy or Sell a Small-to-Medium Sized Business, Dallas, Texas (February 2013)
- Drafting Business Contracts and Negotiation Strategies, NATIONAL BUSINESS INSTITUTE, Business Contracts A-Z, Dallas, Texas (July 2012)
- Anticipating and Resolving Shareholder Disputes, NATIONAL BUSINESS INSTITUTE, National Teleconference (April 2011)
- Nuts and Bolts of Gift Tax Returns in 2011, DOCKET CALL IN PROBATE COURT, SAN ANTONIO ESTATE PLANNERS COUNCIL, San Antonio, Texas (February 2011)
- The ABCs and 123s of Gift Tax Returns, ESTATE PLANNING AND PROBATE DRAFTING COURSE, STATE BAR OF TEXAS, Houston, Texas (October 2010)
- FLPs – Late in Life or Broken Ones, DALLAS ESTATE PLANNING COUNCIL, Dallas, Texas (May 2010)
- Business Succession Planning – Second Generation, ADVANCED ESTATE PLANNING AND PROBATE COURSE 2009, STATE BAR OF TEXAS, Houston, Texas (June 2009)
- Creating Practical Operating Procedures and Buy-Sell Agreements, NATIONAL BUSINESS INSTITUTE, LIMITED LIABILITIES COMPANIES SEMINAR, Dallas, Texas (January 2009)
- Family Succession Planning and Drafting Options for the Business Owner, ADVANCED DRAFTING: ESTATE PLANNING AND PROBATE COURSE 2008, STATE BAR OF TEXAS, Austin, Texas (October 2008)
- Creating Practical Operating Procedures, NATIONAL BUSINESS INSTITUTE, LIMITED LIABILITIES COMPANIES SEMINAR, Dallas, Texas (July 2007)
- To Report or Not to Report: Duty to File Supplemental Information for Form 706 and an Update on Form 709, ADVANCED ESTATE PLANNING AND PROBATE COURSE 2004, STATE BAR OF TEXAS, San Antonio, Texas (June 2004)
- Selling the Family Business, MIDLAND BUSINESS AND ESTATE COUNCIL, Midland, Texas (September 2003)
- Educational Planning For Minors: Section 529 Plans, Trusts, and Others, TEXAS SOCIETY OF CPAS, HOUSTON CHAPTER, 2003 CPE FAMILY CONFERENCE, Galveston, Texas (June 2003)
- Frequent speaker to area business and estate planning groups on closely-held business planning and estate planning topics.